THANK YOU to the bellydance community, donors, St. Paul’s Church and volunteers for all your work in 2013!!! We raised more money than ever for Haven Society.
A fundraiser for Haven Society, hosted by Genya & Lynette
Where: St. Paul’s Church Hall 100 Chapel Street Nanaimo
When: June 22 – Bazaar 1 – 5 pm; Evening Event 7:30 – 10 pm
Zar workshop with RAHMA – 10 – 11:30 am
We are honoured and delighted that gifted performer/teacher RAHMA is donating her expertise to the Bazaar. Based in Vancouver, she has presented dance in Canada, the U.S., Cairo, Ethiopia, Brazil, Australia & Hong Kong (as well as on film and TV). Her elegant and powerful performances, and her renowned ability to break down dance ideas into easily learnable form, has inspired thousands of dancers from professionals to those who dance for personal joy and fitness.
ZAR is an ancient trance ritual practiced by women from North Africa to the Middle East. In this multilevel workshop, you will examine beliefs and practice of the ritual itself, its core movements and rhythms. Then experience how it can be interpreted in an exciting performance, while respecting the tradition itself. Wear dance clothing or a loose dress or robe. Appropriate for all levels and genres of dancer, including no experience.
Where: St. Paul’s Church Hall, 100 Chapel Street
When: 10 to 11:30 am June 22, 2013 (before the Bellydance Bazaar begins!)
Registration: $25 at the door, $20 in advance Book your spot at email@example.com
ANOTHER NEW FEATURE at this year’s Nanaimo Bellydance Bazaar: Consignment Tables!
Buy or sell lightly used bellydance costumes, accessories, and other goodies!
GUIDELINES for selling at the Consignment Tables:
- Items must be clean and odourless (air & wash your smelly costumes & accessories now!)
- Supply us with a numbered list of your items – TWO copies please – with:
- your name, address, phone # & email at the top
- Every item for sale must have a tag or label well attached (we recommend safety pins and heavy card or business card labels), with
- item # from your list * price * your initials eg. #6 $10 LH
- We expect everyone who wishes to sell to
- volunteer for at least 1 hour at the consignment table (if possible, let us know in advance when you’re available – email )
- review your list with Table volunteer(s) when you arrive
- help us to ensure that everyone has room on the table; that may mean displaying just 10 items at a time (Shoppers will keep coming back as volunteers add new table items!)
- Please pick up unsold items after 5 pm, & wait until 5:30 to pick up your payout (no early payouts)
- AND please donate some portion of your sales to Haven Society! (Haven Society will provide a charitable donation receipt on request)
Thank you in advance for participating and for respecting these guidelines! This is our first year with a Consigment Table, so we appreciate your patience. (And we thank MEDA for setting the precedent!)
In 2010, 2011, and 2012 the Bazaar provided fantastically colourful days of dance, shopping, food and friends! Many thanks to my co-organizer Genya Bonfield, Chris Lehmann Thompson, and the many other volunteers who made this fundraiser a HUGE success! Thanks to the vendors, volunteer performers, Aladdin’s Cafe, and everyone who came, we have raised several thousand dollars for Haven Society! A special thanks to St. Paul’s Church for use of their Hall, and local newspapers that provided terrific feature coverage.